Honoring Scholastic Journalism

In 1972, Ephrata High School opened a new era of honoring the written word of free speech by starting a chapter of Quill and Scroll.  Quill and Scroll in an international honor society that encourages, supports and recognizes individual student initiative and achievement in scholastic journalism, regardless of the medium.  The international organization began on April 10, 1926, at the University of Iowa by renowned pollster George H. Gallup and a group of high school advisers for the purpose of encouraging and recognizing individual student achievement in journalism and scholastic publication.

Over the past 96 years, Quill and Scroll has granted charters to more than 11,300 high schools in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and 29 foreign countries.

February 10, 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of Ephrata’s Quill and Scroll chapter.  Membership in Quill and Scroll is an honor.  In order to be eligible for consideration into the Quill and Scroll honor society, students must meet the following requirements:

1. They must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
  2. They must have the equivalent of a B grade average, or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
  3. They must have done superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work. They may be staffers of a magazine, newspaper, yearbook, news organization, online site or radio/television station at the school, or one conducted by an external organization.
  4. They must be recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media.
  5. They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll Executive Director.

Ephrata High School will welcome its latest members into Quill and Scroll during Scholastic Journalism Week, February 21-27, 2022.  Stay tuned for more information about this year’s inductees.