Tigers on a Mission

Delaney Hagy, Photo Editor

Addison Mills (11), a junior, tips the ball over two Ellensburg defenders.

Ephrata, WA – In case you haven’t been inside Marty O’Brien Court lately, you may not be aware that the Tiger volleyball program is causing a lot of people to talk.  The program is currently 7-0 on the season which includes 3-0 in the CWAC.  The Tigers have also compiled an undefeated record through the two tournaments they have attended also.  Last week the WIAA released its first state rankings with Ephrata ranked 4th. The ranking comes fresh off their 3-2 set defeat of league rival Ellensburg, whom they will play again on October 21st.

Much of this year’s success can be traced back to their strong front line of blockers and a competitive defense. “I think we have a solid group of kids and we are pretty versatile with our lineup. Putting Hayden (Mills) on the right, Addie (Mills) in the middle and on the left, and kind of moving kids around. More than anything I think these kids have come to a realization that they have to get their job done. It’s nice to see these kids compete so I think their competitiveness is the biggest portion of our success,” Coach Britney MacLeod said.

These girls have been playing together for a couple of years, in season and on club teams so they have learned how they all fit and play best together. Asking coach MacLeod what the girls can improve on to help their success, she said “We are getting better about closing out games faster. We could be better about executing points and executing our jobs. We need to start out strong in the beginning and keep the momentum going.”

The team is very strong this year with their “win at all cost” attitude and desire to just compete. Talking to a few of the players, the hope is to make it to state this year, and I think we are all excited to see how far these girls can make it.

For now, the season continues tonight with a league matchup against the visiting Greyhounds of Grandview.  Junior varsity begins at 5:30 pm with varsity following.  You can also tune in to watch on TigerVision.

About the Writer
Delaney Hagy, a sophomore, is the Assistant Sports Editor and in her first year in Yearbook and The Roar.