Tigers Collar the Dogs

Wilson Lybbert

Accompanied by the game official, seniors Beau Dechenne (10), Winston Roberts (8), Cole Hertz (17) and Jeremias Barajas (24) head to midfield for the pre-game coin toss.

Ashleigh Martin, Sports Reporter

Cashmere, WA – Tonight the Ephrata Tigers football team made their appearance in Cashmere, Washington taking on the Bulldogs of Cashmere High School. The game was played under the Thursday Night Lights due to scheduling difficulties with local officials. The night included the return of Ephrata’s junior wide receiver Josh Green.  Green was making an appearance following an injury against Ellensburg on September 17th. 

The first quarter went well for the Tigers as senior wide receiver Beau Dechenne scored a 32-yard touchdown with nearly two minutes left.  The Tigers continued their strong play throughout the remainder of the first half.  Senior quarterback Cole Hertz once again connected with Dechenne, this time on a 26-yard touchdown at the two-minute warning. Senior Carson Burns converted the extra point to give the Tigers a 14-0 lead heading into the locker room at the half. 

The visitor section was entertaining and for this reporter, it was something to be thankful for this evening.  The students and parents were excited to see the Tigers control the first half of play.  During halftime, attention turned to two Ephrata JV cheerleaders that were in attendance and providing quite the encouragement to the Tiger sidelines.  Madyx Leseman and Mya Hagy personally made different cheers for almost every player on the field.  One of those players, (Josh) Green, had Madyx and Mya both in sync cheering “J.O.S.H, Josh just put you in your place”.  It was great to see students making the trip to away games even with the hour travel time. 

Cashmere would begin the third quarter hot as they scored a touchdown to challenge the Tigers.  At the end of the third quarter, Cashmere had whittled the Tiger lead to 14-6.  The fourth quarter saw senior running back Jeremias Barajas score a 32-yard touchdown with just over eight minutes left in the game. Just two minutes later, Dechenne again found the endzone.  Following a Burns conversion, the Tigers had extended their lead to 28-6.  The Bulldogs were not to be denied as they marched down the field and quickly added a touchdown of their own.  They failed to convert the two-point conversion leaving the score at 28-12.  An attempted onside kick was not to be as the Tigers came up with the ball and were able to run out the clock and secure the victory.