We Want to Play

Halee Moore, Sports Editor

High school sports are a major importance to a lot of individuals, especially athletes. In the last two years, high school athletes have been robbed of their seasons significantly. Today, I am going to talk about how Covid has affected these individuals, and myself, in the past couple of years. March 16th, 2020 Ephrata high school released their students for a “two-week break”. Little did we know that we would not return back for the rest of the school year. This was right at the beginning of the spring sports season and subsequently led to the end of sports for the year. The graduating class of 2020 did not get to compete in their last race, game, or match. It had a big impact on many of these individuals. 

Jayce Moore, a 2020 graduate stated, “I feel like my high school season was not complete. I worked so hard to get where I was in my sport, and I never got a chance to prove myself. This was my year to really show recruiters what I can do, and I never got the opportunity.” Going into September of 2020 all athletes were left with no hope. Classes were online, and athletes did not get to compete in their sports. 

The Graduating Class of 2021 was left with 3 short seasons all at the end of the year. No state competitions would be held. For most, that is the one thing that drives them to compete. I asked one individual, “why do they want to compete if there isn’t anything to win.”  He responded, “Because sometimes it’s not about winning. Yes, state competitions are a big deal, and that is something I was looking forward to since I was a freshman. But, I enjoy playing the game no matter if it’s to go to the state championship or if it’s a 5 on 5 game on the street with my friends.” 

The students have suffered a lot, but what we do know is how far they have come. Being able to look at the bigger picture is something I personally have had to learn. And I think a lot of people have had to learn that too. All sports have returned back to “normal” for this school year. At least as normal as it’s going to be. As an athlete, I can say that I am very thankful for the opportunities I have been given, and I understand the importance of it all.